CyberKnife® for Trigeminal Neuralgia
In the treatment of trigeminal neuralgia (TN), pain management with medication is traditionally the first line of defense. While this approach can reduce the effects of the disorder, some patients may require or request additional treatment due to advanced pain or a desire to avoid side effects of current medication. In these cases, the patient may be a candidate for CyberKnife treatment.
CyberKnife is a non-invasive option for TN. High-dose radiation is accurately delivered by a linear accelerator mounted on a highly maneuverable robotic arm. The procedure is painless and typically performed in one outpatient treatment session. Unlike other stereotactic radiosurgery treatments, CyberKnife does not use a rigid metal frame secured to the patient’s head with screws. Instead, TN patients wear a comfortable mesh face mask. The CyberKnife delivers hundreds of highly concentrated and incredibly precise beams of radiation targeted directly to the trigeminal sensory nerve root, interrupting the transmission of pain signals to the brain.
Key Advantages of CyberKnife for Trigeminal Neuralgia
- Non-invasive, no incisions, painless
- No anesthesia or hospitalization required
- Treats patients in 5 or fewer visits
- Reaches tumors from virtually unlimited directions with robotic mobility
- Enables clinicians to maximize and conform the dose to the tumor target
- Constantly tracks tumor movement throughout treatment
- Pinpoint Accuracy
- Few side effects and minimal radiation exposure to healthy tissue surrounding the tumor
- Immediate return to daily activities